The Americans’ awakening against Israel’s haemorrhaging of their tax dollars
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.”
This quote, attributed to Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, is coming true. It is coming to haunt the US Zionist lobby and its hemorrhaging of Americans’ hard-earned tax dollars to prop up the apartheid state of Israel while Americans become destitute and America’s infrastructure falls apart.
Americans are waking up. One has only to look at the grassroots campaigns that are cropping up across the US, something that would have been inconceivable just a few years ago.
Below we’ll take a brief look at just three campaigns, but please send us the details of others that we might want to highlight.
No Tax Dollars to Israel
No Tax Dollars To Israel is a project dedicated to ending US tax support to Israel. Among the reasons it gives for this are:
- Israel is a wealthy nation. Its per capita income (GDP) is higher than most of Europe. It is not a needy country.
- The US needs the money at home. Almost any domestic need is of higher priority than sending money to Israel.
- Israel refuses to act in US interests. US foreign policy requires Israel to stop building settlements in the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Golan Heights… Israel refuses, but the US continues to send aid. Does this make sense?
- Israel has conducted some of the most massive spying operations against the US government, and has killed US citizens, including Rachel Corrie, James Miller, Furkan Dogan, Dr Khaled Salah, Mohammed Salah and many others.
- Israel seeks visa waiver privileges in the US but wants to be able to exclude large numbers of US citizens from entry to Israel.
- Israel deliberately attacked US naval forces in an unprovoked attacked on a lightly armed vessel, the USS Liberty, in international waters on 8 June 1967, with more than 200 American casualties, including 34 deaths, almost sinking the vessel, despite clear US Navy markings, including a large American flag.
- Israel pushes the US into wars that benefit Israel much more than the US, such as Iraq…
- Israel is committing massive human rights violations, often with the support of US aid. Israel refuses to allow its non-Jewish citizens (mostly Palestinians) to live in more than 90 per cent of the country, and discriminates in jobs, schools, public services and many other ways. Why should we support this?
- Israel promotes war and discrimination in many parts of the world through the use of weapons, spy agencies and mercenary services.
Stop Billions to Israel
Stop Billions to Israel, according to its website,
advocates an end to the 10-year commitment of 30 billion dollars in US taxpayer-funded military aid pledged to Israel in 2007 by the Bush administration. To further our mission, we work to inform the public and our elected officials how the Israeli military misuses American-made weapons technology and violates human rights. We also shine a light on the support that New Mexico’s state government, defense contractors and institutions of higher learning provide to the Israeli defense establishment. Israel’s ongoing occupation and control over Palestinian territories – East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza Strip – are illegal under international law and contribute to unceasing conflict and suffering. The Stop $30 Billion Coalition supports an end to the occupation and the establishment of justice and equality so that both sides can live in peace. Coalition organizations:
Amnesty International Chapter 101, Albuquerque
Another Jewish Voice (Albuquerque)
Another Jewish Voice – Santa Fe (AJVSF)
Irish Freedom Committee
Middle East Peace and Justice Alliance
Muslim Women Outreach
The Social Concerns Committee of the Albuquerque Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
New Mexico People’s Weekly Forum
Pax Christi Saint Bernadette (Albuquerque)
Stop The War Machine
United Nations Association, Albuquerque Chapter
Veterans For Peace – Santa Fe (VFPSF)
Veterans for Peace – Albuquerque (VFPA)
Pax Christi New Mexico.
If American Knew
Perhaps the best known of the American awakening campaigns, If Americans Knew’s mission “is to inform and educate the American public on issues of major significance that are unreported, underreported, or misreported in the American media”.
Among these issues is the massive and ongoing bonanza of US tax dollars handed over to Israel, a criminal settler-state that has no regard for international law and civilized bahaviour, in perpetuity, it seems.
As highlighted on If Americans Knew’s website,
Israel is the largest recipient of US aid in the entire world. It receives more aid than that given to all the countries of sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, put together.
Israel receives about 8.4 million dollars per day from the United States, and there is evidence that the total cost to American taxpayers is closer to 15 million dollars a day…
Empowered by American money, Israel is occupying land that does not belong to it, is breaking numerous international laws and conventions of which it is a signatory, and is promulgating policies of brutality that have been condemned by the United Nations, the European Union, the National Council of Churches, Amnesty International, the International Red Cross, and numerous other international bodies. This truth is also rarely reported.
Through the money and weaponry provided by the United States, Israel is imposing an ethnically discriminatory nation on land that was previously multicultural. There is ethnic and religious discrimination inherent in its national identity, and a doctrine of the supremacy of one group over all others permeates its political, financial, and military policies. This also is virtually never reported…
American support of the Israeli government is against our national interest on every level: it places us at war with populations whose desperate plight we are helping to create, and who, quite correctly, place the responsibility for their sufferings on us. It makes us an accomplice to war crimes and an accessory to oppression…
We believe strongly that if Americans knew the truth about Israel and Palestine – about the massive amount of our tax money that is being given away to Israel, and about the human costs of Israel’s American-financed militarism – they would demand an immediate rethinking of our policies in this region…
Americans, through our blank check to Israel, are empowering the worst elements of Israeli society, and undermining those working for a just, peaceful, and nondiscriminatory nation.
We are driving the violence in this region.
We can stop it.
We can and we will stop it.
Let us know about your campaign to stop taxpayer-funded support of Israeli crimes.